Wednesday, April 29, 2009




I don't think I included the green beens or my zucchini in my other post on the vegetables that I'm growing. The beans are Top Crop bush beans and I plant them every year. Very dependable and very good. I will probably live to regret planting eight zuchinni plants but I do love zuchinni bread, my son loves fried zuchinni and my new neighbors promised they'd take some!! I once read somewhere where the only time people used to lock their cars was in August so that neighbors wouldn't put their extra zuchinni in their car! This evening I put out some lettuce. I dug a trench and filled it with some good organic soil and scattered the seeds. Then I went through and covered the seeds lightly with some more organic soil. It's a bit late to be getting lettuce out but I planted a kind that would stand up to the heat. Other than that, I'm just waiting on the big garden to start sprouting! I am not a professional at this, but I like to try new things and learn as I go along. I read a lot about gardening on the web and my magazine, Mother Earth News. My dad used to come by and say "you ought to do this or that" but I told him to just let me do it. If I make a mistake, I'll learn from it. Most of my gardens have turned out good. Except the year I got a hold of some hog manure and thought that would be great to soak into my soil before I planted. Well the corn was great, but everything else burnt to a crisp! Or the time my friend come by with a few pumpkins in the back of his truck and I took them for Fall decorations. When the season was over I threw the pumpkins in my mulch pile (another story on that later) then some kids got a hold of them and smashed them in the garden. Well that next summer I had pumpkins everywhere! Well the vines anyway. I let them grow. I did get a couple of nice pumpkins but the best part was the pumpkin blossoms! Pick them, clean them, dip in milk and egg, and cracker meal like you would mushrooms and fry. Delicious!! Believe it or not dandeloin flowers are the same way. My son loves those! Tommorrow I will share some recipes using the produce out of my garden. Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment