Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Finally Pictures!


(Far Right Monster Sage!)


Monster Chives

Small Garden after Cultivating Herb and Pepper Bed








Big Garden (Corn) Small Garden Before Cultivating

I am so proud to get these pictures on here! Like I said I'm not technically advanced at all! But my son showed me how to take pictures from my cell phone and send them to my e-mail so I can download them! Now I know you techies are probably thinking DUH! But this is a huge accomplishment for me!
Well I've been thinking about soil amendments. As you can see both of my gardens are hard clay. I've read all along about compost and cover crops ect, adding organic matter and never really did apply it. But my soil is so poor looking now that I'm going to work on it little by little over the year and hopefully next spring it will be in much better shape. Today I started with the small garden that contains my tomatoes, most of my jalepenos, broccoli, and some lettuce that got a slow start. I bought 4 bags of humus/manure at Wal-Mart and took a hand cultivator, loosened the soil around my plants and worked in a good amount of the humus into the soil. I then borrowed my neighbors push plow/cultivator and loosened up the soil in the rest of the garden. What was left of the humus out of the 1 bag I've used I broadcasted all over so it can be worked in later. Tommorrow I need to start on the big garden and do about the same thing. My corn is looking good..so is my squash but nary a bean in sight. I believe it got too cool and wet after they were planted and they rotted in the ground. My dad said he would retill that side tommorrow so I can replant. I have some empty places in the small garden that I may grow some beans also. My herbs as you can see are doing quite well. I need to do something with those soon, cut the excess and preserve them somehow. I don't want them to go to waste. I am good and tired and sore now. I have not mentioned before but I've been going through some things that mimic MS very strongly and I have had various appointments and tests. No one yet has figured out what it is. I have a Neurologist appointment tommorrow. Will it be good news or bad news??? The thing I have with gardening is that I can just relax and focus in the dirt and tend my plants. It's a therapy kind of thing. I think it's what keeps me sane sometimes! I promise to try to update on here daily. I'll be back with a post tommorrow!!! Till then...



No comments:

Post a Comment