Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Tomatoes!

Today is the day. The plants are going in the ground. My problem is I have twenty two tomatoes and no cages. I did have about 8 cages but they are mysteriously missing! So I guess I'll have to come up with some stakes. I've never staked tomatoes before, I've always used cages. But then again I've never had this many plants! So here about noon, I will be out in the dirt. At least I'll get them in the ground. The little ones I don't have to worry about staking right this minute. I'll come up with something. So speaking of tomatoes...here is my favorite fresh salsa recipe!

About 10-12 Roma tomatoes
1 medium onion
2 Cloves garlic
A good handful of Cilantro stems and all
1 lime or lemon
salt
A touch of brown sugar
2 - 3 spicy peppers (depending on your heat desire!)

Cut off stems of tomatoes. Put all tomatoes in a large pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds. Drain. When cool, peel tomatoes try to get out as many seeds as you can. Run through food processor until desired consistency. Put in bowl. Separately run through your onion, garlic, lime or lemon juice, peppers and cilantro. Put in bowl with tomatoes, mix and add salt to taste and a hint of brown sugar. Refrigerate at least an hour, preferably all day. Stir again and serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment